Shangri-La
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reunion (Amara)

2 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Reunion (Amara) Empty Re: Reunion (Amara)

Post  Seth Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:53 pm

Devon frowned. "Not more than a few hours. The belt's constantly in motion - the Alliance just uses a small fleet of ships to blast away the really dangerous asteroids. That, of course, creates more asteroids, which leaves them perpetually working to maintain it."

Tiao nodded. "He was never really a fan of taking the fight into the Core at all," she agreed. "He thought that the Alliance Navy staying out the Rim was a victory."

Tiao nodded. "Maybe. This is all presuming a target of opportunity on the way doesn't distract them, and that they're intending to go to the Core at all. Do we have any reason to believe the latter? Evidence, I mean?" Devon sighed and shook her head. "

Devon nodded, pointing back towards the comm room. "See if you can raise her."
Seth
Seth
Admin

https://shangrila.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  JanetJulian Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:26 pm

Amara bit her lip. She couldn't offer evidence without bringing up Qun Shi and even if he was dead she didn't think it was a good idea.

In the end she just turned back and nodded at the tech, watching the screen, waiting for it to clear.
JanetJulian
JanetJulian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:53 pm

It took a long time - an impossibly long time, then the view screen cleared, and Xiantha reappeared. A sleeping Annabelle was balanced on one side, braced against her chest.

"Hello?" she asked, as River's image reappeared. A moment later, a small black kitten pounced from off screen onto Xiantha's shoulder, clinging to the leather fabric and then scrambling up her shoulder.

There was a burst of laughter from off screen which could only be Inara's.
Seth
Seth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanetJulian Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:13 pm

Amara had already turned and given the tech a bit of a tonguelashing about the connection. "Of course she was there - they'd just talked to her. How could she not be answering? What had happened?"

She finally sat back down when it became clear that it wasn't helping create the connection and she stared at the blank screen, imagining all sorts of scenarios.

She let out a breath when it finally cleared and she could see Xi and Annabelle. "Xi! What took so long?" She couldn't quite keep the edge out of her voice, though her lips quirked when the cat suddenly jumped into frame.

Xi blinked. "Dinner came. I'm sorry, I didn't see the light." She reached up to steady the cat.

"When did you get a cat?"

Xi smiled. "Came with the Aces. But he seems to have adopted me."

Amara exhaled. "Xi - you need to be careful. We seem to be missing large parts of the Reavers fleet and the Alliance are vacating the Asteroid belt. They're closing the lane and you could be heading into a lot of trouble."

Xi blinked at her mother. "You're sure?" She shook her head. "Of course you're sure. Okay, Mom. Anything else?" She left the cat alone and wrapped her hands around Annabelle.

Amara bit her lip. "That's most of it. Devon thinks the Alliance is hoping the Reavers will give up and burn the Rim instead. But I don't - I can't imagine Qun Shi not programming them to go right for the heart of things. She doesn't really care, but all I can think of is Reavers on Sihnon. There's no-one there prepared for that."

Xi frowned, rocking the child. She nodded. "I - I'm not sure what anyone can do to stop it, Mom. But probably best not to talk about him on an open channel."

Xi glanced off screen towards Lisa.
JanetJulian
JanetJulian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:37 pm

The tech growled a response - he'd been keeping connections open to a dozen different ships over the past day and a half, and being keened at by a teenage waif did nothing for his mood.

"It's the exact same routing," he growled. "Either something happened to the Cortex server, or they're not answering."

Blackie headbutted Xiantha's hand, as she steadied him, then peered at the baby. He started to pad across Xi's shoulders, intending to take a closer look at the usurper. He slid down on Xi's shoulder, tail twitching, though he seemed uncertain about pouncing on a sleeping target.

Inara appeared in the frame, though, picking up the kitten before it could cause any mischief. "C'mere, hungry." The cat stretched its paws, but was carried off against any protests.

When Xiantha looked to the side, Lisa had still not yet returned. The comm channel's security was likely being handled by Greenleaf.
Seth
Seth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanetJulian Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:46 pm

Xi sighed and looked back, nodding as Inara saved Annabelle from a curious kitten. But she had other worries now. "Do we know exactly when the Alliance closed the lanes down?"

Amara hesitated and then leaned to stick her head out of the booth. "When did they close the lane? Xi needs to know."
JanetJulian
JanetJulian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:53 pm

The technician moved to the main desk, conferring with them for a moment.

"About twelve hours," he said. "When we intercepted the transmission, at least."

Inara frowned, and looked to Xiantha. "can you fly this boat through an asteroid belt? Without a lane?"
Seth
Seth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanetJulian Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:03 pm

Xi leaned back and bit her lip, Amara's gaze was silently asking the same question.

"No," she said softly. "No-one could." She looked back at the screen. "Mom, I gotta go. We'll be in touch later." She reached forward and cut the switch.

Amara stared at the blank screen. "She'll figure something out," she said to no-one in particular, but she kept staring at the screen.
JanetJulian
JanetJulian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:08 pm

The technician seemed to regret his earlier loss of temper. He bit his lower lip, then looked back to River.

"Do you... want me to rehail her?" he asked, his voice softer than the earlier growl.
Seth
Seth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanetJulian Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:24 pm

"No," Amara said softly. "Let her do what she has to."

She gathered herself and headed for the door, stepping out. "They're ... working on it."

She licked her lips. "I should get back to medbay. Eve is having her baby." She paused to look around, but doubted that Devon would be sorry to see her go.
JanetJulian
JanetJulian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:27 pm

The technician nodded, and returned to his work.

Devon and Tiao were still busy at work, and when Amara made the announcement, Devon blinked. "She's pregnant?"

Tiao blinked, incredulous, and Devon shook it off. "No - she mentioned that," she remembered aloud. "I... only ever see her face, and she didn't mention it. I was hoping to send her on patrol. Uhm - wish her luck for me," she finished awkwardly.
Seth
Seth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanetJulian Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:50 pm

Amara blinked along with Tiao and then snorted. "Yes, she's pregnant. But I think you could probable send the ship out without her. The crew is quite well trained and very loyal."

She offered a small smile. "I'll give her your best." She glanced at Tiao and nodded, the look suggesting that she was quite happy to see her here.

She pulled the pager out of her pocket. "You can page me if you need me for anything."
JanetJulian
JanetJulian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:06 pm

She frowned. "I'll wait until she's done," she said. "It's her ship." Daig had trained her to respect the position of Captain all too well.

She nodded, and Tiao gave a smile. "I will," she promised, sounding serious, knowing there was far more to River - and Amara - than the others on the station.

Down the hall, in the medbay, there were no pained sounds of labor. Simon was within, as were Hammer and Eve, with Eve's hand wrapped tightly around three of Hammer's fingers.

Seth
Seth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanetJulian Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:15 pm

River shrugged, "then I'll call them," she said. "We need every ship we can get on patrol. But I'll ask Eve first."

She headed out, nodding at Tiao and entered medbay a few moment's later. She paused by the door, looking in on everyone. "How's it going?" She asked softly.

JanetJulian
JanetJulian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Devon nodded. "Thanks," she said, her attention already focused back on the board.

Eve smiled at her as she returned. "Sucks," she said with a chuckle. "And the contractions are not cooperating. Simon said it's not those... Hicks things. Ugnh, I really should have read one of those pregnancy books." She laughed and shook her head, and Hammer patted her hand.

"And Hammer's been trying to explain...everything. That you're... possessing River somehow. And she's possessing you, but... might be dead." She took a breath, her face already limned with sweat. "Mmm... what kind of question do I ask that Amara would know but a psychic wouldn't?"
Seth
Seth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanetJulian Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Amara smiled and nodded. "Usually starts out slow. It's a good sign," she said, trying to be comforting. "She's not dead," Amara said. "She's with Xi somehow. Don't ask me to explain. I really don't know."

She smiled. "I don't think the question exists, but sure, go ahead. Ask me anything." She reached up and brushed red hair out of Eve's face.
JanetJulian
JanetJulian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:51 pm

"The impossible possible," said Eve, smiling softly. "Your family managed to accomplish that with me. Why not... life and death," she said with a chuckle, shaking her head. "Uhn, part of me wants it to happen fast and just be over with."

She bit her lip. "Tell me... tell me what to expect. Amara would know. A psychic wouldn't, since I have zero idea." She blinked back tears of fright, refusing to show them. She wiggled slightly, making room for Amara to sit opposite Hammer on the bed.

Simon gave a small smile. "I've got a few more things to prep," he said quietly, slipping out of the room.
Seth
Seth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanetJulian Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:13 pm

Amara snorted. "You were never impossible," she told Eve. "Just challenging."

She glanced up at Simon and nodded, giving him a wave and then settling on the bed beside Eve as she began to review everything she knew about childbirth - and it was a lot. Because once she'd made it clear she was having Xi Sei had made her help with all the girls who'd gotten themselves in that particular way. She'd midwifed a whole bunch of births, few of which had happened in such clean, shining medical facilities. In general the Guild did not support childbearing. If the mothers chose to have their children, it was on them to figure out how and suffer the consequences.

Amara had planned to change all that. Well back before her life had gone insane. Maybe Inara could do it without her. As of now, she'd have to.

But she pressed on, leaving out the gorier tragedies and focusing on the more common and survivable issues and progressions.
JanetJulian
JanetJulian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:05 pm

Eve laughed. "Gotta....ughnn....try harder," she smiled.

Eve listened, quietly grateful that Amara wasn't sugar coating the truth for her. She groaned, interrupting the explanation during a contraction and squeezing Hammer's fingers while she did her best to groan quietly. She waved it away, afterward, bidding Amara to continue. She appreciated the strategies, but was equally interested in the tragedies - death and pain didn't frighten her, and she preferred preparation, even when Hammer looked horrified at some of the tales Amara could relay.

It wasn't long after that her labor began in earnest - and quickly turned into a heroic endeavor. Eve's child seemed determined to be as challenging as she was, and her labor was decidedly painful, accentuated by Eve's decision to forego painkillers and a Ceserean, even when Simon recommended both. She seemed determined to have the child her own way or die trying, and at times it seemed the latter was a possibility. She screamed, howled - and it went on for hours. Even the mighty Hammer gingerly switched hands after she'd sufficiently abused one, and endured every curse the creative and well-read Eve could devise for his gender, taking them all with patience and sticking by her side. He did well - quiet, supportive, a pillar of strength up until the very end. The man who'd stared down an assault team passed out clean at the actual delivery, taking out trays of instruments, and illiciting a ragged laugh from the exhausted Eve.

"Big baby," she accused him, taking her unnamed daughter into her arms. It had been sixteen hours, and it showed in the wan lines of her face, the pools of sweat on the bed. She gazed into her baby's eyes, and Amara's senses could feel her mind buckle but hold - she fell in love, but her will and her mind stayed her own. She stroked a bald head, smiling at green eyes that matched her own. The baby had duskier skin than did Eve, but Eve seemed unsurprised.

She laid back in the bed, relinquishing Amara's abused hand at long last. She was quiet, thoughtful, drained by mental, emotional and physical toil the likes of which she'd never known.
Seth
Seth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanetJulian Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Amara thought well before it was over that it might be best if she stopped trying quite so hard. But she did her best to supportive, to tell her what she wanted to know, to hold her hand through screams and cries and pains that no body should endure. She did her best to try to support Eve's decisions, though she was almost ready to insist on the cesarian when things started moving and before they knew it Eve's baby was born.

She blinked when Hammer fell like the proverbial tree, and chuckled along with Eve. "That's gonna hurt," she said, smiling at Eve and her daughter. She reached out and stroked the little girl's head. "She's beautiful. Just like her mommy."
JanetJulian
JanetJulian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:23 pm

Eve chuckled. "He'll be fine," she said. "Sides. I'm the hurting one, here." She gentle poked at Amara's ribs, her eyes heavy lidded. She gazed down at the baby, her eyes heavy, while Simon enlisted a nurse - then a second nurse - to help him move Hammer.

"Thank you," she said softly. "I... still need to name her." She sighed, looking down into her daughter's name. "I thought it would just come to me when I saw her, but right now I think her name should be 'sleepy.'
Seth
Seth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanetJulian Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:48 pm

Amara smiled and turned back, letting the others deal with the fallen giant. "Don't thank me," she said softly. "You did all the work." She smiled and nodded. "Don't rush it. When it feels right, you'll know." She leaned forward and kissed her cheek.

"Something she and her mom have in common, I think. You plannin' on nursing?"
JanetJulian
JanetJulian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:56 pm

"You stayed," she pointed out. "Even when I tried to break every bone in your hand." She nodded at the reassurance. "How'd you ever decide Xiantha?" She turned her cheek for the kiss.

"Yes," she agreed. "We do. And... thirsty, and hoarse. I hadn't really thought about it. It's healthier, right?"
Seth
Seth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanetJulian Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:21 pm

Amara smiled. "Well, okay. Guess I deserve a little thanks." She shrugged. "Sounded like a flower, and I wanted something exotic and pretty. She had the longest lashes when she came out, and these deep blue eyes that just seemed to look right through me." She smiled faintly at the memory. "It just felt right."

She smiled wryly. "Screaming will do that. I'll get you some water. And some say it is, some not. It's really what you decide. I find it makes really good bonding time, but it can be kind of painful at first."
JanetJulian
JanetJulian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Eve chuckled. "You're definitely thanked," she promised. She chuckled at the 'sounding like a flower,' finding all of Amara's femininity charming. She smiled softly at the mention of Xiantha's eyelashes, and gave a small snort. "She still has them. Lucky b - " She paused, covering her daughter's ears and mouthing the rest of the word with a laugh.

She nodded. "Pain I can handle," she said. "More worried about these turning into watermelons," she admitted. "But... I think I won't mind the bonding, either."

She looked down at her daughter and sighed. "Please don't be as stubborn as your mother," she pleaded, kissing her forehead softly.
Seth
Seth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next